In 1994 the Geary County Commission embarked on a forward thinking, much needed, improvement plan for the circa 1899 County Courthouse. While in good structural condition, the building was in strong need of functional, energy and maintenance improvements. Security and code related issues were a major concern and the improvements addressed functional isolation of activities between judges, juries, staff, prisoners and the general public. Code improvements addressed improved exiting and fire sprinkler systems. Energy saving and maintenance modifications, including new windows and full slate tile roofing, were incorporated into the full master plan. This building ws rededicated at its 100 year anniversary and received an Award of Excellence from the Kansas Presercation Alliance in 2000.